Already have the filter? We have 12-pack cartridge refills, too! Return your used cartridges to Celsious in New York.
Each time we machine wash clothing made of synthetic materials (polyester, nylon, acrylic, etc.) hundreds of thousands of microplastic fibers are released into waterways. Scientists estimate that 35% of the microplastic pollution in our oceans come from textiles.
These microplastics make their way into our food chains and drinking water. A study found that the average human ingests 5 grams of plastic per week (the equivalent of a credit card!).
Currently, most washing machines do not have built-in microfiber filters. France has adopted a law that will require all new washing machines to have microfiber filters by 2025, but here in the US, there are no state or federal regulations that specifically address the issue of microfiber pollution from laundry.
You can install PlanetCare's external filter to your home washer to help reduce microfiber pollution. The filter captures a wide range of fiber sizes, from under 20 microns to 5 mm.
Celsious is the only North American distributor of PlanetCare Mini Starter Kits, which are compatible with HE and standard washing machines (front or top loaders), and come with:
- 1 cartridge housing
- 3 filter cartridges (will last 60 loads)
- 1 holder
- 4 screws
- 1 hose
- 1 drain hose adapter (please select the appropriate size at the top of this page)
- 1 packet of silicone lubricant
- 1 counter wheel (to keep track of washes)
- Watch these helpful installation guides: #1 and #2
- Place the filter housing on the outside of your washing machine (or on a nearby wall) and hook it up to your washing machine's drain hose (make sure the placement of the filter is not higher than the drain).
- Put a clean cartridge into the housing.
- Do laundry as usual (optional: use the counter to keep track of the # of washes)
- After 20 washes, or when the cartridge is full, replace with a clean cartridge.
- Allow the used cartridge to fully dry and then store temporarily—we'll make it easy for you to send us your used cartridges in bulk.
- Once we've collected enough used cartridges, we'll send them to PlanetCare. Their team will recycle the microfibers and refurbish the cartridges for reuse.
Don't forget to measure your drain hose and select the appropriate adapter size from the menu above! Most washers sold in North America have a 0.9 inch hose diameter, but some are also 1.1 or 1.3 inches wide.
Try washing clothes less often, with cold water and on shorter cycles to reduce microfiber shedding. If you wash a lot of cotton and/or have pets that shed a lot, you might find your cartridges need to get replaced before the 20th wash.
To learn more about PlanetCare, read our Q&A with their CEO here.
Still have questions about the PlanetCare filter?
We're here to help! Get in touch with us: